How to send us your video and film footage
Each video has its own page on the website. Each Gathering has its own collection of video footage, so a video should cover a single year, not multiple years. If you have footage from more than one Gathering on the same video, no problem, I can edit it into separate videos.
Sending your videos
Please email your videos to firstname.lastname@example.org - or (better!) stick them on Dropbox and share with me.
Alternatively, if it's already up on YouTube or Vimeo or in a public post in Facebook, just send me the link and I'll embed from there.
If you'd rather, you can mail a CD or DVD of the video instead. Please use a padded envelope or CD mailing box to protect it.
CDs/DVDs should be sent to:
The Gathering Archives
PO Box 11-858
Format and display details
I put video footage up on YouTube on my WebWeaver channel and link from there, so as the copyright holder of the video, you'll need to give me permission to do this.
- You'll need to save the video in a format that YouTube can accept. These are:
- QuickTime .MOV
- Windows .AVI
There lots more info here about Uploading videos to YouTube, but basically, whatever video you have, I can work with. Just send it to me and I'll get it online for you. I have verified YouTube status, which means I can upload videos longer than 15 minutes if you have them. I can also edit your videos if need be.
If you have an analog camcorder (one that uses VHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, 8mm, or Hi8 tape), I can still use your videos:
- You will need to digitize the video with a converter box, which will convert the analog signal from the camcorder to a digital signal that the computer can understand.
- Alternatively, email me and we'll have a chat about what format you have, and the best way to get it online. I can help you get pretty much any format published, so get in touch!
If you're a professional video producer, you'll probably know far more than I do, and can advise me on the best way to display your footage. Please email me with your details and we'll have a chat about how we can make it happen.
Information you should include with your video:
- Which year (which Gathering) is this video from? This is really important - I won't know which section to put it in if I don't know which Gathering it's from.
- How do you want to be credited on the website? Your first name only, your full name, or no name? Do you have a website, blog or email address you'd like me to link to from your video?
- Please include your contact details (email address or phone number) so I can contact you if I have any questions - and so that I can let you know when your video goes online.
- Please also include your permission, as copyright holder, for me to upload the video on YouTube under my account. You will be credited on the YouTube page, as well as on this website.
- If you have photos or stories that accompany your video, please send them in too, and I'll include them on the site, linked to your video page.
What sort of video to send
There are very few rules for video on this website. Every bit of video footage is precious, because there's simply not that much of it around. I'd like to make as complete a collection as possible, of any and all video footage taken at The Gathering.
Did you DJ, VJ or perform at The Gathering? Were you one of our live acts? Did you have video taken of your performance? I want to see it! If you were a VJ and created visuals especially for The Gathering, would you be willing to share it with us?
I know some people took professional video/film at The Gathering. Some of you may be willing to share this with us, others may not. But even if you don't want your entire video out there on YouTube, how about selected highlights? Or maybe stills combined into an animated gif? If you're willing to send me stills taken from your video, I'm happy to make them into an animation for you and add it to the website. I'm also happy to include your contact details if you want to sell copies of your video via the website.
I'm also very interested in crew videos. Footage that shows the various stages of the setup and/or packdown is really valuable, because it demonstrates how much work went into the party each year.
Behind-the-scenes video is always interesting for people who weren't behind-the-scenes themselves. Video showing you working with your fellow team-mates is also brilliant, because I want this site to celebrate the amazing people who made The Gathering happen, as well as the amazing people who came to party with us.
Will your video be selected?
While I cannot guarantee that every video you send me will be included, it's VERY likely that almost all of them will be. They're rare and precious, and more than any other medium, videos show what The Gathering was really like.
The only thing we have to be careful of is other people's copyright. So if you send me video of someone else DJing or performing, we'll need their permission to include it. I may be able to help you with that, so if you're unsure, send me the video anyway and we'll see what we can do.
If you have any questions, or need any help, please contact me at email@example.com.